Friday 5 August 2016

THE AUGUST FALLS: FAMILIAR FACES

Once  in a while, in the evenings after a very long day filled with arguments with the bus conductor or the passing insults of an Okada man who always rides his motorcycle recklessly, or the old and young vibrant people on the streets, I would sit on my bed stark naked enjoying the evening breeze that came out of my large window. It did well by illuminating the dark room because my lights were always off even when NEPA decided to be nice. In the evenings, the window brought in the sun rays and the breeze when NEPA did their natural thing; it was one of those things and despite trying to learn how to call it PHCN, we never was able too. It was still the same thing anyways, just worse. During these periods I would stare outside, beyond the people walking about on the busy road and wonder where he could be; that young man I dreamt of months back and how much Dejavu it had brought when I saw him at the corner of where the woman selling fish was at the market one afternoon. His hands were fast as he smiled gaily to the woman he was haggling prices with.
"Madame! You no dey even know customer sha how you go sell this fish wey dey plenty for inside water for 1,000 naira. I be Buhari pikin?"
The woman laughed back
"Oga Isaac no be so you know as he dey now." She had replied with her teeth spread widely exposing her gap tooth.
Isaac that was his name. I did not  know what force had pulled me to where he was as I stared at him in wonder. He stared back  briefly and looked away. He noticed that I was still looking at him and he finally stared at me squarely on the face.
"How may I help you ?'" He had asked.
I've seen you before, I knew you in the world before this world. 
"I'm sorry i mistook you for someone else." I said.
I wonder now, how it would have been imagining if you also knew me.

No comments:

Post a Comment